A New Stem and a Refresh for a Briar-Bowled Gourd Calabash

As we move through September and people settle into their Fall routines, I’ve finally been able to get to work on some of the pipe I acquired over the summer, including this interesting, though sadly unmarked, Gourd Calabash. As you can see from this set of pictures, the pipe came to me without a stem…

Read More

A New Stem for a Hardcastle’s Seaton 172 Billiard

This week’s estate pipe restoration is the fitting of a new stem to a Hardcastle’s Seaton Billiard stummel, which came to me as part of a large lot of pipes for repair. As this series of pics shows, the stummel was in very good, if not unsmoked, condition. It had clearly been without a stem…

Read More

A New Stem and New Life for an English Army-Mount Billiard

I found this pipe on eBay a while ago, had a quick look at it when it arrived, then added it to my refurb box and forgot about it until recently. You may understand my initial lack of enthusiasm after looking at these pics of the pipe as found. As you can see, the pipe…

Read More

A Churchwarden Conversion for a 1980’s Brigham 129 Author

This was an interesting project for me, requested by the same piper that brought me the Brigham Sportsman Freehand I wrote about last time. He had been wanting a Churchwarden pipe for some time and brought me a handful of pipes he thought might make good candidates for a conversion. In the end, we selected…

Read More