This pipe belongs to a fellow Ontario piper and DadsPipes reader who wrote to me asking what could be done to get this older meerschaum Egg back into his rotation. At first glance, the pipe looked to be in good shape, but a closer inspection revealed that the stem had been damaged at the button end at some point and the owner simply cut it … Continue reading Overhauling an Austrian Meerschaum Straight Egg
It’s been a while since my last post on the new workshop build, and I’m thrilled to report that the work is done! As you may recall, at the end of Part III of this series the electricians had finished up and I was busily hanging boards on walls and ceilings. I went with 1/2″ OSB over drywall here, both for its durability and to … Continue reading The DadsPipes Shedquarters Project Part IV -From Shed to Shedquarters!
Welcome to Part III of this series about a “lost” line of unfiltered Brigham pipes. This time, I’m working on the second of two Brigham “Canuck” prototype pipes circa 1940s or 1950s. As I wrote about in Part I, the Canuck line was produced until the 1960s. Production pipes were fitted with a non-filtered Vulcanite stem with either a black anodized aluminum tenon or a … Continue reading Re-Discovering Brigham’s Canuck Line of Pipes and Rehabilitating Two Prototypes – Part III
In today’s post I’ll be working on the first of two Brigham Canuck prototype pipes I wrote up last time. This Pot shaped pipe, probably made in the 1940’s or early 1950’s, was certainly showing its age when I brought it to the worktable to start cleaning it up. The body of the pipe wasn’t too bad, but the rim was dented nearly all the … Continue reading Re-Discovering Brigham’s Canuck Line of Pipes and Rehabilitating Two Prototypes – Part II
Every now and again, a pipe collector comes across something really special. I had one such moment recently which I’m excited to share with all of you. A few months ago, I received an email from a gentleman in Hamilton, Ontario requesting some help in identifying a couple of old Brigham pipes he had acquired. This in itself isn’t that unusual for me – this … Continue reading Re-Discovering Brigham’s Canuck Line of Pipes and Rehabilitating Two Prototypes – Part I
This restoration was fairly simple – just what I was looking for after tackling a run of trickier repairs. This Trypis pipe hit the worktable in fairly good estate condition. The rim was hidden under a coat of lava but looked to be in decent shape otherwise. The stem was a bit oxidized and the alligator-skin rustication was dirty and packed up with old wax, … Continue reading Quick Shank Repair for a Trypis Canted Dublin
The Shedquarters Build proceeds apace – it’s been a busy couple of weeks and I am really pleased with the progress. We had a bit of good weather (finally) this Spring, so took full advantage of two days of sun to get a coat of fresh paint on the exterior of the building, matching it to the colours of the main house. Bye bye Basic … Continue reading The DadsPipes Shedquarters Project Part III – A Coat of Paint & Interior Rough-Ins