I found this Peterson Kildare 01 at a local antique shop a while back and decided it was high time to spiff it up a bit.
First a little research. Mark Irwin’s exhaustive work on Peterson pipes, The Peterson Pipe Book, provides this information in the section entitled Collector’s Guide:
Kildare 1965 – First issue of line with matt finish smooth pipe in the Classic Range, P-Lip and fishtail. Second issue c. 1979 as Kildare Patch, with rusticated patches on pipe surface. Third issue 2010, brown matt, P-Lip or fishtail, no band. Fourth issue 2011– , burgundy sandblast, nickel army mount, fishtail, exclusive to Smokingpipes.com. See Etched.Irwin, Mark & Gary Malmberg. The Peterson Pipe, The Story of Kapp & Peterson, Briar Books Press, 2018.
Working from this data, the Kildare on the worktable today, with its brown matt finish, no band and P-Lip stem, is either from the first 1965 issue or the third 2010 issue. Given the general wear and tear on this piece, I\m inclined to assign it to the earlier category.
Here is the pipe as it looked when I first brought it to the worktable. Note the tired finish, significant rim dents and shrunken fills on the stummel. The stem carried a few deep tooth dents and an unevenly stamped “P” logo.
The stamps are a bit faded on this pipe, but readable. The left shank is stamped “Peterson’s” over “KILDARE”, while the right shank is marked with “”MADE IN THE” over “REPUBLIC” over “OF IRELAND” and a shape number, “01”.
The right side of the rim was especially beaten up, with ridges of briar covering most of that half of the rim. To smooth things out, I topped the bowl very gently.
As the last pic above shows, the inner rim edge was irregular, likely from scraping the cake with a pen knife. I used a scrap of 220-grit sandpaper to reshape it and regain the round appearance. I also touched up the outer rim edge while I was at it.
From the rim I moved on to addressing a few fills that had shrunk and needed replacing. I picked out the old putty with a dental pick, then drop-filled the cavities with CA glue mixed with briar dust. When the glue had fully cured, I used needle files and sandpaper to level the patches and smooth out the finish.
A wipe with alcohol on a cotton pad cleaned up the exterior of the briar, and a few pipe cleaners dipped in more alcohol sorted out the internals. Somehow those pics have wandered off on me, so just take my word that the pipe is clean at this point.
A hit of Fiebing’s Dark Brown leather dye refreshed the pipe’s finish and pushed the fills well into the background.
When the dye coat was dry, I buffed away the excess with an old towel, then wiped on a light coat of mineral oil to moisturize the briar and give the finish depth and pop. Notice how the oil brings out the grain.
I let the oil sit on the briar for a few minutes before buffing away the excess. Then the stummel was set aside to rest while I worked on the stem.
First up for the P-Lip stem was an internal cleaning with pipe cleaners and alcohol. There wasn’t much gunk hiding in there.
Hoping to fill in the P logo, I applied a dab of white correction fluid (aka Liquid Paper) and let it dry. Sadly, the stamp is not even – the left side of the P is more deeply stamped than the right side – so my effort didn’t pay off very well.
It was time to deal with those tooth dents. A preliminary sanding with 220-grit paper brought the dents into focus. These aren’t terribly deep but I prefer to add material to smooth them out rather than sand them out and risk over-thinning the stem.
I drop-filled the dents on both sides of the bit with clear CA glue and sanded things flat after the glue had cured. I also used a needle file to sharpen the rear edge of the button. When I was happy with the state of things, I sanded and polished the repair to 2000-grit.
Then it was time to take the complete pipe to the buffer for a run of Red Tripoli and White Diamond compounds, followed by several light coats of Carnauba wax. I left the finish on the stummel more matte than gloss, in keeping with the original brief, but made sure to shine up the stem.
This 55-year-old pipe is once again ready for action. It has been cleaned and completely refreshed and has already found a home with a new piper.
Thanks for joining me for this fairly straightforward refurbishment. Until next time, Happy Piping!
Here’s the finished pipe.
2 thoughts on “Freshening a Republic Era Peterson Kildare 01”
Looks like a good pipe to go with a dram of Jameson! Nice comfortable look to that one. Well done!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks, David! I think most pipes go well with a wee dram! 😁
LikeLiked by 1 person
Comments are closed.