A Quick Refurb of a BBB 2 Star Billiard

I found this BBB 2 Star Billiard at a local antiques and collectibles sale. It was in rather good shape other than a very tarry rim with a few visible dents. The stampings were crisp – the BBB 2 Star logo on the left shank, with “London Made” over “385” on the right shank. The original stem was intact, along with its own BBB logo stamping. The stem had a small bit of oxidation, mainly around the button.

20150915_190434 20150915_190441 20150915_190559 20150915_190652 20150915_190804 20150915_190810 20150915_190837

I decided that the stummel was clean enough to bypass my usual isopropyl alcohol soak; instead, I used alcohol-dipped cotton pads to wipe down the exterior of the briar. This cleaned things up nicely and removed the old finish in the process.

20150915_193433

I reamed the thin cake from the bowl and then cleaned the airway and mortise with alcohol and pipe cleaners. As you can see, it didn’t take a lot of work.

20150915_194222

I moved on to the pipe’s rim at this point, after dropping the stem into an Oxyclean bath to soak. The cotton pads and alcohol had done a good job of removing the tars from the rim; this brought to light, however, the many dents and dings the rim had sustained – another victim of the careless “dottle knock-out”. I would have to top the bowl to restore a flat surface.

20150915_194739

20150915_194731

In the pic above, you can see a small burn mark on the inner rim at about the 2 o’clock position. I topped the bowl a bit more to minimize, but not completely remove, the mark.

20150915_195644

This was a decent piece of briar – I found no factory fills, though I did end up drop-filling two pinhead sized pits on the right side of the bowl with tiny amounts of CA glue. You can see them in this pick – the two dots on the briar.

20150915_220458

The stummel was now ready for stain, so I pulled the stem out of the Oxyclean and scrubbed it down with 0000 steel wool and 600 – 2000 grit wet paper to remove the oxidation and smooth out my scrubbing marks. Here’s the complete pipe at this stage.

20150916_074317

The overall colour on the stummel was fairly even except where I had sanded – the rim and the two fills. These I corrected using a stain marker. I let the stain dry, then went over the entire pipe with Micro Mesh sanding pads from 2400 – 12000 grit to smooth out the finish and bring up the shine.

20150916_082734

Then it was off to the buffer for Red Tripoli and White Diamond before giving the pipe several coats of Carnauba wax. Here is the finished pipe. This was a quick and easy clean-up for this old BBB 2 Star billiard. It’s now fresh and ready for years of use.

20150922_113743 20150922_113752 20150922_113801 20150922_113816


Advertisements

8 comments

  1. looking at the shape more carefully I am pretty convinced that it is a Lumberman rather than a billiard. The round, long shank and the round taper stem point me in that direction. Great work!

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s